The battery icon is one of those little things that you don’t really realize how useful they can be until they go missing. It can get pretty frustrating trying to guess how much juice your battery has left without the battery icon. Luckily, there are several easy fixes for this issue. If your battery icon is missing in your Windows 10 computer, here is how to get it back.
There are several things why the battery icon might be missing
There are several different situations which could lead to you having a missing battery icon on your Windows 10 computer. In order to fix the problem, the first thing you need to do is identify the cause of the problem. Here is how to go about it:
1. Your Battery Icon Was Present But It Has Suddenly Disappeared
The solution to this problem is simple. When you notice that the icon has stopped showing, power down your computer then turn it on again. Wait for it to power up completely, then look for the battery icon again. If doing this brings the icon back then your problem is solved.
For this situation, there are several reasons why this problem could have happened in the first place. Sometimes when your computer runs continuously for a long time, some functions may fail. Rebooting the device will fix this issue. Another possible reason could be because the CPU’s extensive programs failed to run on your windows 10.
If the problem persists, move on to the next steps.
2. You Want To Show The Battery Icon For The First Time On The Computer
If your Windows 10 computer has never shown the battery icon since you first started using it, this scenario applies to you. Here is what you need to do to fix it.
The solution is to enable the icon from the computer’s settings. However, before you get started, you need to check and make sure that the battery icon is not under show hidden icons”, which is located in the taskbar at the bottom right of the screen display. Click on the Up arrow to reveal all hidden icons.
If you find it tucked away among your hidden icons, simply drag it to the right side of the taskbar to reveal it. You can also do the same thing for any other icons that you need revealed. If you do not see the battery icon there, read on.
Here is what you need to do to activate the battery icon in Windows 10.
You should apply these steps if your battery icon suddenly disappeared and solution 1 didn’t bring it back, or if you want to show the icon for the first time and it isn’t among your hidden icons.
Here’s how to restore a missing battery icon in Windows 10:
Method 1 – Check System Settings
- On your Windows 10, go to Settings. You can do this by clicking on Start and searching for settings in the search bar, or by pressing ‘Windows key + I’ on your keyboard. You can also get the settings by simply clicking on Start then clicking the Settings icon.
- Once the computer’s settings are open, locate system’ from the menu. Select this option.
- To the left of your screen, you will see a list of options. Make sure ‘Notifications and actions’ is selected.
- Click on ‘Select which icon appears on the taskbar’. Confirm that the ‘Power’ icon is checked. If not, activate it. It should immediately appear on the screen.
- If you do not see the Power icon, press the back button to go back to the ‘Notifications and icons’ tab under ‘System’.
- This time, select the ‘Turn system icons on or off’ option. Make sure that the ‘Power’ option is checked. If not, enable it by clicking the button beside it.
- Navigate back to “Notifications and icons’. Click on ‘Select which icon appears on the taskbar’. You should now be able to see the ‘Power’ icon. Confirm that the ‘Power’ icon is checked. If not, activate it. It should immediately appear on the screen.
If this process doesn’t do the trick, proceed to the next steps.
Method 2 – The Windows Explorer Trick
In this method, all you have to do is restart your Windows Explorer. Starting Windows Explorer refreshes all your desktop icons. If your battery icon disappeared suddenly, this should bring it back. To restart your Windows Explorer, do this:
- Open Task Manager. You can manually type in ‘task manager’ in the search bar or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Esc. The Task Manager should immediately pop up on your screen.
- On the Task Manager, click on the ‘Processes’ tab.
- Locate Windows Explorer on your list of running processes. Right-click on it then select restart’.
Method 3 – Update Your Computer
Sometimes the problem might arise because of a pending update. The update may not be properly installed on your windows 10 computer. To confirm this, the first thing you need to do is check if there are any updates needed for your device. Note that if there are no updates, you can skip this method.
- Click the Start icon, then Settings.
- Select ‘Update and Security’.
- Next, select check for updates’.
If there are available updates, go ahead and install them.
Method 4 – Device manager
If all other methods have not worked yet, your laptop’s problem could be with its drivers. These drivers are located in the device manager under the battery section.
- Search for ‘Device Manager’ in the search bar.
- Open the Device Manager.
- Once it is open, locate battery’ and select it. The battery drivers will appear. The drivers you are looking for are the ones named Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery’ and Microsoft AC Adapter’. Note that they may be under different names. As long as they are under the ‘Battery’ tab, they are the drivers you are looking for.
- Examine each driver. You can do this by turning each one on and off again. Right-click the first one, then click disable’. Now enable the driver again. Do this to the rest of the drivers under the battery’ option. Do not forget to enable the drivers you have just disabled.
- When you are done with all of them, navigate to the action’ tab located on the menu bar of the Device Manager. Click ‘Action’, then select scan for changes’,
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Although these methods are specially tailored for Windows 10 computers, they also work on Windows 7 and 8. Also, if your computer still experiences the same issues even after applying all these methods, the problem could be more serious than you anticipated. If this is the case, you may need to seek the help of a professional. Good luck!
If you are looking for a laptop with good battery life, check out our 17-inch desktop replacement laptop list!